Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's Hot In July, In Case You Have Forgotten

Last week we did a few activities because Hayden returned to school yesterday. We wanted to cram a bunch of stuff in before he became a third grader. Third grade. Hayden is old now. He didn't want me to walk him into his classroom for his first day, "Drop me off at the curb." Questions about how his first day get answered with one word, "Fine". So I've got nothing else to say yet about third grade because I'm not in the loop. Maybe I'll get to learn more on Back to School Night.
We took the boys to the Children's Museum at the Gateway. If you've never been there before, be aware that the play balls with the tubes at the beginning of the museum are so freaking awesome to toddlers that you'll never get them to check anything else out. Pick up a ball, throw it down a tube. Or up a suction tube. Or steal some other toddlers ball, make them cry, then throw it down a tube. Tube, tube tube! Mental note-bring a book next time. Wait, that wouldn't work or he'd make all the other kids cry. Mental note-learn to love tubes.
Hayden did explore the rest of the museum though. He always likes to be a cashier at the grocery store and sit in the helicopter. Too bad it was 158 degrees outside (helicopter got a little hot). Because of the heat we thought we'd take them to the fountain down a little way from the museum. Hayden was brave, but Jake didn't want anything to do with it, not even when his cousin tried to show him it's not scary.
We also went swimming at Jen's pool (thanks again Chloe). We got to see some of my cousins there by pure luck (Hi Richmonds!). My favorite part of swimming day was the Einstein's Brothers bagel sandwich I had for lunch. Tasty Turkey on garlic, no sprouts, add honey mustard and onion. Best.
Sandwich. Ever. My favorite things are usually edible.
We also recently learned another valuable lesson. When you go to the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point, do not eat in the little cafe just outside. It is also the concession stand for the movie theater so you end up paying 147 dollars for a sandwich and chips. Oh yeah, and don't go to the Children's Garden when it's the hottest day of the year. Especially when the fountains aren't working. And when you have a toddler with you. You will spend your entire time at the garden discussing the broken fountain. I do recommend going to all these places though, just call ahead and make sure the water is on and have another plan for lunch.
It's odd to think that Hayden is already back in school because it feels like summer has ended. But it's still hot. My poor traditional school elementary background has made it hard for me to wrap my brain around school starting in July. I have to remind myself that just because school started, fall is not really as close as I'd like to think. It'll be hot for a while. My lawn will still be thirsty and dying for a while and I can't wear my cardigans for a while. And I'll still have one lonely toddler for a while. Jake does miss his brother. And don't tell him, but I miss Hayden too............

No comments: