Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Miracle Tomatoes



We were very observant and patient the first part of the summer, being very careful with our veggie garden. Towards the end we just let the whole thing run itself. Without water. But somehow all these tomatoes survived (plus three jalapenos). I haven't got a clue what to do with all these tomatoes. I guess I'll figure out how to make homemade tomato sauce or something.
Here are a few important lessons we learned with our first garden
  1. You don't need three tomato plants unless you also have a plan for A LOT of tomatoes
  2. Earwigs are the enemy-they must be stopped
  3. Giant sunflowers are cool until you realize all those yellow jackets and birds are only in your yard because of it
  4. Birds poop on the rest of your garden while they attack giant sunflowers
  5. One giant sunflower is enough
  6. Did I mention that some sunflowers get huge? I mean like "Jurassic Park" huge
  7. Roma tomatoes get really, really creepy black bottoms when you don't water them regularly
  8. Pumpkin plants can also get "Jurassic Park" huge
  9. Don't get impatient and pull up a couple of carrots to check on them, then think you can push them back in the dirt to keep growing when they are too small to eat (I know, I know. I just really wanted a carrot)
  10. Get the really big tomato cage

I enjoyed my garden experience. I think next year will be much, much better. The fence will go up before the planting begins, hopefully preventing the dog from getting to it. I will either plant one tomato or buy a bunch of canning supplies. If the tomato sauce works out, I'll show you pictures.



No comments: